Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sick Joke - 9/04/08

I sit here feeling like my intestines are tied in a knot. Tied in a freakin’ knot.  I sit here truly not knowing what tomorrow morning will bring. Will I be able to stand up? Function? Live and dare I say thrive? Yes this is a sick joke that I have lived over and over again. When you wish me well and say good luck and I hope you feel better. I am of course touched. But it is when you help me achieve simple heights, the simple things that we take for granted, then that is when you have truly helped a man. For helping a man who has been struck down crossing the street is our duty and we wish him the best of luck and we send him flowers. Business owners offer him and his family some discounts to make it easier. Now if a man like the man in the story we are about to relive, received support in the same way that hit and run victim did, then boy would all our lives be enriched.

It is when you look at me and I look at you and we look around and look at everyone else that we see at least two very different things. Through my eyes I see value and possibility even in those who have been called scum by any number of unauthorized figures. It seems that from what I understand you are saying is that one person is worth much more than another. But how can this be? Is it in how I cut my hair?  So you don’t like my haircut? I paid $16 bucks for this! Oh so it’s not my haircut then it’s got to be my eyeglasses? Oh so you paid $260 for your frames? I laugh at that as mine cost $40. Well you’re a cheap bastard. Well that’s all I could afford to spend. Then you need to get a job. I have a job. Then what’s your problem? I don’t enough have skills. Not my problem. But you have lived a life of opportunity. Yeah so I don’t owe you anything. But I am sitting here in pain, suffering. Can’t you help me? Why should I? Because we are both humans and you have the means and access to help me. Sorry I am buying a new stereo today, I can’t help you. I just need $15 so I can eat something good and clean my clothes and this will help me feel better. You just are going to buy drugs. No I don’t drink or use drugs. You’re lying. I am not. Clean and sober 7 years. Great so you think I should take pity on you and just give you money? I am not looking for pity I am looking for help. I want to pull myself out of this. I know I can live a better life. I want to succeed. Yeah and you think I should pay for you to buy things because your life is screwed up. I didn’t ask for this. I always wanted to be happy. I always wanted to have a good life and work and have friends and a family. I have always wanted all this and so much more. So you think me giving you money will help you get that. It would help me right now because I am so hungry and my clothes are dirty. It could be the beginning of the rest of my life. I've been asking people to help me for longer than I can remember. And here we are, simply two people standing on a street.  If you can help me right now it would help me get through the day. I hope tomorrow someone will listen to me when I ask them to help me improve my life. I hope tomorrow someone will help feed me when I am hungry. I hope tomorrow will better. I know tomorrow will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment